Ray Brown wrote:

> Yes, I never got on much with Martial; and it's not Catullus scurrilous
> verses that I think it's worth learning Latin for; I can read much the
same
> in modern urban graffiti.

I like the humour there, and the fact that when I was at school and I asked
my latin teacher "was all they wrote about just gods, heroes and dead
sparrows?" he replied "yes" and then told me to read some of Martial's work.

> It's his lyrical poetry that I like, e.g.
> Lugete, o Veneres Cupidinesque....

The dead sparrow! I like this one. In fact, I love all his Lesbia poems:
vivamus atque amemus...

> Paeninsularum, Sirmio, insularumque....
>
> Phasellus ille quem uidetis, hospites....
>
> and many more.
>
> And the poem at his brother's grave - Multas per gentes et multa per
> aequora uectus - is IMO both finely written and very moving.
>
> Ray.

Dan

Ka yokonáu iti báyan: "cas'alyá abhiyo".

Ka tso iti mantabayan: "yama zaláyá
alánekayam la s'alika, cas'alika; ka yama
yavarryekayan arannáam la vácika, labekayam
vácika, ka ali cas'alyeko vanotira."
Dan Jones