From: Scuba diving discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 2:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SIGNOFF SCUBA-L

On 14 Feb 2001, at 12:46, Ted Phelps wrote:

> Yes, I did, as a matter of fact.  The attachment was part of a message
> supposedly from one of my close business associates/friends, and I
> automatically assumed that what he sent to me was ok.  While I have virus
> protection, somehow this made it through.  Once I updated the protection,
> got over two dozen attempts to the virus back to me, and not all of them
> were from people I knew.

And this is exactly how the virus writers expect things to happen.
People that opens attachments without a second thought provide
the virus writers with a non stop audience. It's not good enough to
know the person that sends an attachment via email, you must
know that they meant to send you an attachement. In the internet
world you trust no one.

> I did NOT by the way write back to my friend and call him an asshole. Nor
> did I do so with any of the other two dozen persons responsible for
sending
> the virus to me later in the day.  I did, however, politely inform them of
> the problem and made suggestions to them as to what to do about it.  The
> anonymity of the internet seems to breed a brand of cowardly boldness.  I
> doubt that the person who called me an asshole would have said it to my
> face.

I can appreciate the fact that you were more polite in your
response. Personally I just deleted all the copies that I recieved but
everyone of them was deleted with the smile and the asshole
thought. Smile for knowing that ya'll got caught with your pants
down and asshole for getting caught.

I asked the question because I certainly believe that you were
negligent also. You "assumed" that it was ok. .....

It