On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 10:04:49PM -0500, Nik Taylor wrote:
> Eric Christopherson wrote:
> > Why do you spell 'Nik' with a K?
>
> Well, the usual shortening is Nick, despite their being no K in
> Nicholas.  Basically, I just don't like the redundant "c" in Nick.
> Plus, by now, it's just become part of me.  :-)

Interesting. Was there a certain point when you started spelling it that
way, or have you just done so all along? (It is a cool spelling, btw.) As
for there being no K in Nicholas, I thought about that too and figured it
was just because it seems more "natural" to spell final /k/ with <ck>, at
least after lax vowels. Of course there are lots of exceptions in English,
but I think most of them are loanwords, such as the very popular -ic
suffixed words.

--
Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo
Conlang code: