On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, James O'Connell wrote:

> As I'm doing my demonstrative system in elenyo right now, I was wondering
> how other people had done this. Do you have seperate demonstratives to
> demonstrative pronouns or are they combined? Do they show case etc?

The adjective form in Arakis is the "base" form:

               near in time     distant in time
near speaker       tay             taya
near listener      say             saya
distant from both  pay             paya

Note: y is [j].

You can change these to pronouns (sort of) by attaching suffixes:

an object or thing: -me
person: -ra
(This distinction later evolves into the "voluntary/involuntary"
distinction in Chevraqis.)
type of...: -lan
time/place: -(y)at
mode-manner: -(y)eru
reason: -(y)us

So if you wanted to refer to something near in time and location, you'd have:

tayme: this thing
tayra: this person
taylan: this sort of (whatever), such a thing
tayat: this time/place
tayeru: this way
tayus: this reason

It's overly regular, but it's less of a headache for me that way.  :-p
There aren't cases, but the pronoun forms will attach affixes like any
other (pro)nouns.

YHL