Print

Print


On Saturday, February 17, 2001 12:04 PM, Karla Clinch wrote:

(snip)
]> And wwhy are we basing it on months?

Because you earlier stated:
>I have or will have tune ups done more on my beach regs, than
I
> will my other regs---which I have done about once every 4 months right
now.
> My beach regs will be done about once every 3 months.<

Perhaps more clarification is needed?  Sharing the load between two sets of
regulators, (granted you may be doing less beach than boat dives, or vice
versa, so that one set of regulators is getting far more use than the other.
And assuming that you carry out proper post-dive washing and cleaning
procedures; check that no sand or grit is lodged in the second stage; that
the diaphragm and seals are ok; that the exhaust valve is ok and seating
correctly; that the purge system functions correctly, that you check the
hoses and store the unit properly, etc.), and based on the number of dives,
it seems to me to be an excessive amount of work carried out on your regs!
What are the manufacturer's recommendations as far as service/maintenance
intervals are concerned?  When you say, 'tune-ups', what exactly do you
mean?  Are you referring to both the first and second stages?  Or just the
second stage?

>I personally base mine on the number of
> dives I am doing.

It depends, of course, on the regulator model, (and the care given to it!),
but based on a heavy diving programme using just one set of regs, I'd be
inclined to say that any more frequently than every six months or so is
*extremely excessive* and should be unnecessary.  Sharing the load between
two sets over 115 dives ...! :-)

> Lets' face it, not servicing or having our gear checked on a very regular
> basis is stupid, and can cost either you or someone else their life.

I'm all in favour of regular (as opposed to "very regular"!) servicing
that's carried out by a suitably qualified technician following the
manufactuer's specifications.  But over-servicing can be as risky as
no-servicing at all and actually lead to a decrease in the regs performance
characteristics.  Regulators have - and can - clap out for no apparent
reason.  But it's extremely rare.  The user will generally gain a gradual
appreciation that it's not working as well as it should.  In which case,
regardless of the interval between having it serviced, it's time to wheel it
back in for a thorough overhaul and service to correct the fault.  But if it
continues to perform up to expectations with even very heavy and regular use
then, as far as I can see, there's no point in having it serviced in less
than at least six months.

> If you can afford to dive, you can afford to have your gear checked out.

Checking gear is something that all diver's should carry out as a matter of
course before and after each dive.  Servicing that gear and fiddling with
the settings should only be done according to the manufacturer's
reccomendations - or when it's apparent that it's not performing correctly!

A good parallel is the frequency with which divers monitor their gauges.
Generally speaking the deeper you go then the more frequently you check the
SPG.  Some people - even in the shallows - hold the SPG in front of their
face throughout the course of a dive.  It's obsessive behaviour that - apart
from the obvious indication that they're not really comfortable with
diving - can be justified on the grounds of 'playing it safe'!  (I'm not
suggesting that you're not confident in your abilities or that of the
equipment, but I am attempting to point up that over-servicing *may* not be
necessary and can, in fact, detract from your diving enjoyment!) :-)

Strike