In a message dated 2/16/01 10:35:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 (snip)
 ]> And wwhy are we basing it on months?

 Because you earlier stated:
 >I have or will have tune ups done more on my beach regs, than
 > will my other regs---which I have done about once every 4 months right
 now.
 > My beach regs will be done about once every 3 months.<

Maybe.  Since I am averaging more than 50-60 dives in 4 months, and am diving
daily from the beach.....damn, my back hurts from that sometimes....>VBG.
I figure the amount fo use-----consider that about every 5,000 miles or
so.....

Now someone suggested vehicles could go every 10-15 thousand miles without an
oil change.

Personally, my Honda Accord---a 1986, with 250,000 miles on it has to have
it's oil changed every 2000 miles.  I can hear the difference in the engine
about that time.  Now, I know this car inside an out.  I do my own oil
changes and tune ups.  Hence, when that engine starts to chatter, I know it
is time for an oil change.
BTW, that car has been all over the U.S. and I bought for $1500 from my
mechanic when it had 30000 miles on it.  I have put 220000 miles on it, only
changing the oil on a regular basis, changing the timeing belt, and a new
radiator and water pump.  Which, BTW, I did all by myself......

Now, I say all that to say this.  I know my gear.  I know, can sense when
something is not right.  When that occurs, I won't take chances.  I get it
checked out.

Maybe it is a "trap".  But when you are planning your dives to 100+ feet, why
take a chance?

 <<Perhaps more clarification is needed?  Sharing the load between two sets of
 regulators, (granted you may be doing less beach than boat dives, or vice
 versa, so that one set of regulators is getting far more use than the other.
 And assuming that you carry out proper post-dive washing and cleaning
 procedures; check that no sand or grit is lodged in the second stage; that
 the diaphragm and seals are ok; that the exhaust valve is ok and seating
 correctly; that the purge system functions correctly, that you check the
 hoses and store the unit properly, etc.), and based on the number of dives,
 it seems to me to be an excessive amount of work carried out on your regs!
 What are the manufacturer's recommendations as far as service/maintenance
 intervals are concerned?  When you say, 'tune-ups', what exactly do you
 mean?  Are you referring to both the first and second stages?  Or just the
 second stage?>>

I do clean my equipment.  Not after every dive, but generally take it all out
one night a week and give it all a going over, cleaning, oiling, thourough
drying, washing my suits ect......
As far as tune ups go....just that.  Generally only 2nd stages.   Depends.
If the tune up of the second stage doesn't seem right, I will have my
servicer go over the first stage.
As I think about it....I am probably doing about 50/50 in the types of dives.
 5 beach dives on average, and 4-8 boat dives.

 >I personally base mine on the number of
 > dives I am doing.

 It depends, of course, on the regulator model, (and the care given to it!),
 but based on a heavy diving programme using just one set of regs, I'd be
 inclined to say that any more frequently than every six months or so is
 *extremely excessive* and should be unnecessary.  Sharing the load between
 two sets over 115 dives ...! :-)

 > Lets' face it, not servicing or having our gear checked on a very regular
 > basis is stupid, and can cost either you or someone else their life.

 I'm all in favour of regular (as opposed to "very regular"!) servicing
 that's carried out by a suitably qualified technician following the
 manufactuer's specifications.  But over-servicing can be as risky as
 no-servicing at all and actually lead to a decrease in the regs performance
 characteristics.  Regulators have - and can - clap out for no apparent
 reason.  But it's extremely rare.  The user will generally gain a gradual
 appreciation that it's not working as well as it should.  In which case,
 regardless of the interval between having it serviced, it's time to wheel it
 back in for a thorough overhaul and service to correct the fault.  But if it
 continues to perform up to expectations with even very heavy and regular use
 then, as far as I can see, there's no point in having it serviced in less
 than at least six months.

 > If you can afford to dive, you can afford to have your gear checked out.

 Checking gear is something that all diver's should carry out as a matter of
 course before and after each dive.  Servicing that gear and fiddling with
 the settings should only be done according to the manufacturer's
 reccomendations - or when it's apparent that it's not performing correctly!

 A good parallel is the frequency with which divers monitor their gauges.
 Generally speaking the deeper you go then the more frequently you check the
 SPG.  Some people - even in the shallows - hold the SPG in front of their
 face throughout the course of a dive.  It's obsessive behaviour that - apart
 from the obvious indication that they're not really comfortable with
 diving - can be justified on the grounds of 'playing it safe'!  (I'm not
 suggesting that you're not confident in your abilities or that of the
 equipment, but I am attempting to point up that over-servicing *may* not be
 necessary and can, in fact, detract from your diving enjoyment!) :-)

I don't personally feel that it detracts from my diving enjoyment.  Just the
opposite.  Since I get to sit in on the servicing....I am learning something.
 I like to learn.  Not that I will ever do it my self, just that I like to
learn and observe.....

Sure, your not.....I have you figured out, Strike.....Grinning very much
right now....you just like to start trouble.......Just kidding....Can't wait
to meet you someday....

Later,
Karla

Karla Clinch