> Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:52:12 -0500
> From: Yoon Ha Lee <[log in to unmask]>

> <wince>  I spent a good part of my childhood reading "Geoffrey" as
> [dZi@fri] and Chevrolet as [SEvrolEt]...

I don't remember what I did myself before I learnt English --- when
reading, I think I mostly treated foreign names as word symbols
without attaching any pronunciation to them.

But when my sister started reading Black Stallion books in Danish and
talking about the /kEn"tusky/ and /pi"la:delpia/ /dERby/s, I knew
enough to mock her in the time-hallowed manner of older brothers
everywhere.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)