Henrik wrote:

> I'd like to know what ways exist of rendering the verb
> 'to have' in other languages (both natural and constructed).

There are three basic ways of doing this. Unfortunately, I
can't find the papers I have on it, but something like this:

1. Location. If you see a boy with a dog at his feet all
   day, you can guess it's his dog.

   AT me is a dog.

2. Possession. The verb "have" usually comes from a verb meaning
   'to hold' or 'to grasp'. E.g. Sw. _ha_ < _hålla_.

   I HAVE a dog.

3. I'm a bit uncertain about this one. It is supposed to be
   something like Location. IIRC it's "Comitative" or "Movement
   towards/Allative", i.e. "WITH me is a dog" or "TO me is a dog."

I'll try to find the source, I know it's around here somewhere...
Though I bet someone beats me to it. :)

AFMCL's, I use the DAT-case (dative/allative/genitive) for have-
constructions in Rinya ("a dog to-me"), and probably a verb "have"
in Seimi.

Anyway, hope that helps.

daniel

--
<> "Lea eica waenaidh mae bwochath waenë,   <>
<>  ja jordhëchaidh mae gothëje jordhëchë." <>