Lars Henrik skrev:

> > 2. Possession. The verb "have" usually comes from a verb meaning
> >    'to hold' or 'to grasp'. E.g. Sw. _ha_ < _hålla_.

> Are you very very sure about that last? What happened to the cognate
> of Da have, G haben, E have, L capere in Swedish? (As opposed to Da
> holde, G halten, E hold, L ??).

No, I just made that up in the moment to give an example.
To give a clear etymology where there wasn't one. Oops.
Don't know why really. Anyway, the point is that the verb
"have" comes from either "hold", or -- as is the case in IE
langs -- from "catch, get, take". Thanks for pointing that
out.

daniel

--
<> "Lea eica waenaidh mae bwochath waenë,   <>
<>  ja jordhëchaidh mae gothëje jordhëchë." <>