On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-1] Jrg Rhiemeier wrote:

> David Stokes <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> > The recent discussion on active languages and related issues got me
> > musing about things in my language  I don't really care whether anyone
> > considers niKmb to be active, split-S, or any such thing. What I want
> > to know is does the system work? Does it make sense?
> >
> > Active/Stative:
> >
> > From what I can tell, in English whether a verb is active or stative is a
> > property inherent in particular words; a verb is either active or
> > stative. But in niKmb stative is treated as an aspect, along with the
> > active aspects progressive, perfective, and inchoative. Theoretically,
> > all verbs can be active or stative, although in practice some may be
> > used more frequently one way or the other.
>
> I don't see why you treat it as an aspect.  It is an inherent semantic
> property.

Thats the point of my question. Must stative-ness be an inherent semantic
property ? Or is it possible for a word to be used both actively and
statively. In the examples I tried to find ways to use "stative" verbs
actively and "active" verbs statively.

Perhaps I'm picking up some other distinction and calling it by the
wrong name. Or perhaps what I'm trying to do is take two related semantic
ideas, one active one stative, asign both of them to one root, then
distinguish between them with sufixes.

Does any of this make sense, or am I completely messed up and need to
rework the grammar completely?

David