At 04:07 PM 3/1/01 -0500, Anne Mahoney wrote:
>"Rafal T. Prinke" wrote:
> > Can it be somehow estimated "how much accepted" TEI is? Are there
> > any major electronic editorial projects that do *not* use TEI?
>
>Alas, yes.  The Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (http://www.tlg.uci.edu) has a
>huge, beautiful database of Greek texts in a proprietary markup scheme
>called Beta-code (described at the above URL)....

... and that's only one example of a major _academic_ electronic editorial
project (even accepting that you couldn't wrap TLG beta code in TEI markup,
which of course you could). When you include commercial projects, the
examples, er, proliferate. It's just they don't generally share their
editorial or business processes so we don't know what they're built in (and
many are SGML or XML, albeit not TEI).

On the other hand, the author of the original article under scrutiny, while
predicting that most XML-based standards initiatives would fail, never
addressed whether XML itself would "fail". It's like saying most companies
making those newfangled electrical appliances would fail, while never
saying that electricity itself, AC or DC, will fall out of use. TEI need
not worry the tiniest whit whether other SGML/XML-based languages fail
(whether they be "true standards" or commercial initiatives dressed up as
standards, as so many of them are), as long as the technology and tools
themselves continue to have a healthy future. I say, the more failures are
around to learn from, the better.

Cheers,
Wendell