On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, J Matthew Pearson wrote:

> Elliott Lash wrote:
>
> > Du wir können doch gute Freunde bleiben*
> > hat sie zu mir gesagt, darauf hätte ich ihr am Liebsten
> > eine Kugel durch den Kopf gejagt!!!

> I can't tell from context whether the writer means he wants to
> shoot a bullet through his own head, or his beloved's head.

His beloved's head: you can tell from "ihr" in the second line. I'll
get out my rusty high-school German and do a quick parse:

Du  wir können doch   gute Freunde bleiben*
you we  can    anyway good friends stay

hat sie zu mir gesagt, darauf hätte      ich ihr am Liebsten
has she to me  said    then   would-have I   her most-dearly

eine Kugel  durch   den Kopf gejagt!!!
a    bullet through the head shot

"Well, we can stay good friends," she said to me, and then I'd have
loved to put a bullet through her head!

   Irina

[log in to unmask] (myself)     http://www.valdyas.org/irina/valdyas