> From:    Tommie L Powell <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: [various] body parts, profile, etc
>
>> But then, is it the United States of America, or the United States
>> of Mexico?  ;p
>>
>"United States" is a pair of English words, and other languages
>substitute their own words for "united" and "states" when they
>translate "United States" (so, for example, Mexicans refer to
>the USA as the EUA).  But "America" is virtually the same in
>all languages.

No, I meant that the full name of the country of Mexico is 'United States of
Mexico' (Estados Unidos Mexicanos), so trying to call USA people by some
derivative of "United States" falls into exactly the same faux pas [however
bad it may actually be] as those who can't just call USA people 'American'.

> From:    David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: A Proposition
>
>     You know, we're all trying to write to each other with things that
sort
> of represent different versions of the IPA, and it's really confusing (at
> least to me).  I have a solution (that is, if everyone is writing from
either
> a Mac or IBM clone).

[...]

Yeah, I have IPA fonts (probably the same ones) and you can use IPA on a
website or whatever but they won't show up in plain text email.  My conlang
subscription only comes in plaintext (no matter how hard some people
try--HTML posts for example are double the size and half machine-generated
htmljabber...). So that won't work for everybody.  [And yes I _am_ using
Outlook Express on a Windows machine, and no it is not broken or modified in
any way] ;p

> From:    Christophe Grandsire <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: CHAT: silly names, prepositions
>
> Approximately as arrogant as using the word corresponding to a whole
continent
> to refer to oneself, excluding all the other people on this continent. I'm
> sorry, but Argentinians, Brasilians, etc... are also Americans, even if
"only"
> South-Americans. Inhabitants of the United States are not the only
inhabitants
> of America, not even the only ones in North America. So it is your
> self-designation which is arrogant in the first place.

Actually, that only counts continent-wise.  Isn't the USA the only American
_country_ to have 'America' in its name?

Okay, ObConlang:

For Hadwan I have a deverbal form whose name I do not know.  (Yes, grammar
is still one of my weak points.)  So I need a bit of help.

It goes something like this:  the inflected verb form becomes a new stem
with a suffix in -c (/ts/) or - (/S/) depending on the ending.  And the
meaning is basically "the act of Subject Verbing".  The basic parallel
construction in English is a possessive pronoun and an -ing form ('my doing'
this, 'his misunderstanding' that), although I think the Hadwan might be
more flexibly used, perhaps adjectivally:  "The ghost of the woman _he had
murdered_"

What would yall call that?  (Other than 'a bad idea'...)

Right now the only name I have for it is 'infinitive mood', which isn't
descriptive (only 'infinitive' because it's formed from the infinitive
stem--it's still inflectible for tense; 'mood' because it's not inflectible
for mood).

     *Muke!