[log in to unmask] writes:
>Korea says "Migeuk" for Americans, meaning the U.S. (since Koreans
>generally have a lot more experience of U.S. people--generally military
>folks--than other Americans).  I don't know where it comes from, though I
>used to.  But if you say "America" you'll probably be understood.

In Tagalog, it's Estados Unidos :)......they just took the Spanish words.
But, generally people think Amerika when they think of the US. An
Amerikano is generally thought of as someone from the US, not any of the
other countries (at least that's how my relatives think). And i think a
somewhat derogative slang word is "Kano"......but i'm not quite sure.