En réponse à Frank George Valoczy <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hm. In Hungarian the most polite way to tell someone to sod off is to
> say
> "go to France". This dates to when there were French troops in Hungary
> after the first World War, and the commonly held belief was that their
> job
> was to spread Syphilis to the Hungarian population.

Wasn't it? :) Well, as for the image of France in the rest of the world, I
always have in mind the Dutch expression "de Franse weg": the French way. Things
done in the French way for Dutch people are things only half-done, done in a
messy way. Well, I hate to say that but they are right...

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr