The <emph> element should *not* be used unless you wish to make a claim
about the linguistic reasons Saussure used the particular rendition. The
<emph> element is defined as indicating linguistic emphasis (as in the
word "not" in the preceding sentence.) Since I assume at least part of the
reason for distinguishing underlining from boldface style (how did he doe
that in manuscript, by the way?) is so as to investigate whether or not
there is a systematic linguistic explanation for this variation, it would
definitely be wrong to assume one in the encoding.

Use <hi rend="ul">, and <hi rend="bo">. Or, if that's too much like hard
work, define additional tags <hi> and <bo> as syntactic sugar for the
foregoing (which may, of course, be too much like hard work of another
kind).

Lou