Muke Tever sikayal:

> > there.  Young Muke's email had shattered yet another myth I entertained
> > about Americans: so the Henninian barbarism have reached there   <sigh>
>
> Oh, I severely doubt it... I never learnt Greek pronunciation *from* anywhere [I
> don't think I've ever heard anyone speak it at all, even].  I just read the

See, I have learned Greek here in Leftpondia and I certainly never learned
any silliness about accenting Greek as Latin.  We follow the Byzantine
system (I think) whereby there are three accents: acute, grave, and
circumflex, all obeying odd and distinctly non-Latinate rules.  Our
teacher even had the decency to mention that they were all originally
pitch accents, but that being tone-deaf Americans we'd pronounce them as
stress.  Still, it's close enough.

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]

"If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are
perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in
frightful danger of seeing it for the first time."
--G.K. Chesterton