Je 15 majo 2001, je 9:48, Chris Burd skribis:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001 18:12:23 -0700, Donald J. HARLOW
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Later, he devotes three pages to an overview
> >of the Esperanto serial press, parts of which are having trouble
> >adapting to our Brave New Electronic world ("La Brita Esperantisto",
> >"Kulturaj Kajeroj") and parts of which aren't ("El Popola Ĉinio" has
> >gone to a strictly on-line format [...]
>
> That's putting a brave face on it. The main claim to fame of _El
> Popola Chinio_ (which I always read as bad Spanish for "The Chinese
> People") was its status as Eo's glossiest magazine, and its loss has
> caused a certain amount of dismay in some circles.

True. But you're out of date, Chris. Had EPC^ been published
through 2001, it would have been remembered as Esperanto's
_second_ (or, from what I hear, _third_) glossiest magazine. The
Brazilian Esperanto League's "Brazila Esperantisto", which has
somehow come into money, went this year to a new format even
purtier than EPC^'s (glossy paper, color all the way through rather
than on the covers and in 1-3 internal sections). And while I haven't
seen it yet (as I have seen "Brazila Esperantisto"), I'm told -- by
several sources -- that the new French Esperanto magazine is at
least as glossy and colorful as BE.

> Besides, let's not
> kid ourselves, magazines still have a far wider circulation than web
> materials, and are capable of reaching a far greater range of people.

This is _generally_ true, and I would certainly have supported the
same argument for EPC^ twenty years ago (a lot of people _did_
make that argument, writing to their local Chinese embassy about
the matter in late 2000). Unfortunately, when China went to a
system which we may refer to as "pragmatic Communism" in the
late seventies, government subsidies declined considerably, and
prices rose. For books in Esperanto, they climbed only slightly
(considerably less than the rate of inflation, actually), despite the
government's black-ink requirement, for reasons I don't completely
understand (cheaper printing methods, perhaps?), but for EPC^
they basically skyrocketed. By 2000 the annual subscription rate
(slightly higher than that for National Geographic -- _and_ you had
to pay a supplement if you wanted timely, e.g. airmail, delivery)
was high enough that the magazine's second- and third-world
subscriber base had pretty much disappeared, except for gift
subscriptions from wealthy first-worlders; so basically today, EPC^
hasn't much changed its actual readership by shifting over to the
web. I would amend your comment by using "a greater range of
people"; the word "far" is really no longer valid, at least in this
case, under the circumstances at the beginning of this century. (If
you say "that's not a good thing", I will agree with you.)

EPC^'s greatest problem now is that they may alienate part of their
readership because of technical non-competence. The Web, after
all, is a totally new medium for them. The EPC^ site is quite
attractive -- _if_ you use Internet Explorer to look at it. With
Netscape, it's not much less attractive, but its functionality goes to
hell in a handbasket, so to speak. Overuse of VBScript, perhaps?

(In the last issue of EPC^, readers were advised that some of its
functions would be moved over to the Chinese Esperanto
movement's internal magazine "La Mondo", and advised readers to
subscribe to it. I haven't done so yet, though I may get around to it.
Last time I looked -- which was more than a decade ago! -- "La
Mondo", which was available only inside China, unless a friend
sent you a copy under plain cover, was, although considerably
thinner than EPC^ and only bimonthly, at least as glossy and
colorful -- I'm not sure exactly why, given its putative clientele.)

(Note: Who knows? A paper EPC^ could conceivably return in a
couple of years or so. This is not the first time the magazine has
disappeared. It was off the market for 2-3 years in the mid-to-late
fifties, cancelled at that time due to disapproval from China's
Mentor, the USSR. In '58 or '59 it revived -- this was about the time
of the beginning of China's disillusionment with its Good Neighbor
to the north -- just in time for the Great Leap Forward. (*) My EPC^
30th Anniversary lapel pin, that Zhu Mingyi gave me at the Pacific
Congress in Vancouver in 1980, doesn't mention the fact that the
magazine was published for only 27 of those 30 years ...)

---

(*) For those who (a) can read Esperanto, and (b) are interested in
Politically Motivated Literature, I've been putting a few of the poems
and stories from the literary section of EPC^ in that era on the
Web; you can find them from the directory that will come up if you
access
http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Revuoj/epc/. I
particularly like Mao's poem about swimming the Yangzi, in which I
believe you'll find the very first literary allusion to the Three Gorges
Dam.

-- Don Harlow
http://www.best.com/~donh/don/don.html