On Tue, 29 May 2001, Aloyen Youngblood wrote:

> Ky'Rin is a language of "bits" where many bits make up words.  It
> was designed based on 13 elements (ex. earth, fire, water, chaos,
> etc), and the idea of adding on bits that mean "the color of" or "the
> smell of".  It was the first language I began designing and it's
> currently going thru some heavy editing except that I'm taking a
> break from it for a bit.

Neat!  Was it related to a roleplaying game or anything?  (It looks like
it'd actually make a great magic-language, whether or not that was its
intended purpose.)

> mya$talyg is an attempt at making a language with definite rules
> for bringing words over from American English into it easily.  $ = sh
> as in sheep.  It has 14 letters, 5 of them vowels.  Each vowel is
> pronounced. So soyel is actually so-y-el.  This is the language I'm
> actively working on right now.  Unfortuantely I haven't got the hang
> of explaining the sounds for each letter except as used by me in
> other words.  Ex.  y = the long e as in "see" or "sea".

Are you familiar with the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)?  Two
sites I've found useful for transcription are:

http://www.unil.ch/ling/phon/index.html
(It has sound clips of IPA sounds, and I swear there's an English
version, though I can never find the thing.)

http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/ascii-ipa.html
(Since most of us can't read funky character sets, there are several ways
of representing IPA symbols via ASCII.  The most popular here seems to be
SAMPA.  A few holdouts like me use Kirschenbaum.)

> > Yoon Ha Lee
> > 22-year-old conlanger living in Ithaca, NY; soon to be in Clifton Park,
> > NY for a week; and then off to Stanford!
>
> My in-laws live down near Ithaca and a friend of mine grew up near
> Clifton Part so I know both places.  :-)

<awed look>  You're the *first* non-Clifton-Park person I've "met" who's
heard of the place!  Neatness.

Best,
YHL