On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 09:19:02PM -0400, Nik Taylor wrote:
> Barry Garcia wrote:
> > Of course, the Romans thought it degrading to be the receptive partner.
>
> Receiving oral sex was more degrading than giving it?  Interesting.

Confusingly, "receptive" here I think is meant to mean the person who (how
shall I put this?) uses his or her mouth. At least that matches with my
understanding of Roman sexual mores -- it was generally acceptable for a man
to insert his genitalia into whatever orifice of a consenting man OR woman,
but for a man to "receive" another was seen as perverted. Likewise, for a
woman to penetrate another woman OR a man (by whatever means, say with an
object) was seen as a perversion. BTW, speaking of tribadism as we recently
were, my friend with a master's degree in classics says that tribades were
in classical times women who practiced this "perversion," NOT ones who
rubbed against each other. Apparently though the latter is the modern usage.

--
Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo