> Date:         Wed, 30 May 2001 20:53:59 -0400
> From: John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > All fetuses (feti, fetora?)
>
> "Fetuses".  "Fetus" in Latin is AFAICT only an adjective.

Fe:tus in Latin is is both a second-declension adjective (pregnant or
fruitful) and a fourth-declension masculine noun (a birthing, hence
offspring or a crop). The noun plural is fe:tu:s.

(This is the same sort of deverbal noun as apparatus from apparo, but
in this case the verb did not survive into recorded Latin. Ray and I
hashed it out on the list several years ago, and I think we concluded
that it might have been something like fe:o/fe:vi/fe:tus/fe:re.
Cognates are Danish die and Sam.skr.ta dhayati, which mean to suckle).

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)