BACKGROUND
I am working for the project "A historical corpus of the Welsh language".
We plan to set up an electronic collection of Modern and Early Modern
Welsh texts. We are using TEI for the corpus.
Since we wanted to find out what kinds of problems might arise in using
TEI, we started with a text that would address several areas of TEI: a
17th c Welsh versified drama from a manuscript (unedited).
I would be very grateful for any comments or advice - or confirmation -
concerning the problem discussed below, which may be rather basic.
[Examples are made up, but reflect the respective problems; tagging has
often been simplified in order to highlight the point in question.]

TAGS ALLOWED IN THE VALUE OF AN ATTRIBUTE?

Say, the scribe has inserted a letter above the line (the R in _dragon_,
for instance). For some reason or other, you want to keep your main text
free of ADD and DEL-tags etc. Instead you want to put the manuscript
reading as you find it into the value of the ORIG attribute of a REG tag
(or any other appropriate tag), for example (ignoring questions of
responsibility etc):

I suppose this is alright. I tried to spot an example of something like
this in the guidelines, but didn't.

If this is NOT alright, why not?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ingo Mittendorf