BACKGROUND
I am working for the project "A historical corpus of the Welsh language".
We plan to set up an electronic collection of Modern and Early Modern
Welsh texts. We are using TEI for the corpus.
Since we wanted to find out what kinds of problems might arise in using
TEI, we started with a text that would address several areas of TEI: a
17th c Welsh versified drama from a manuscript (unedited).
I would be very grateful for any comments or advice - or confirmation
concerning the problem discussed below.

Examples are made up, but reflect the respective problems; tagging has
often been simplified in order to highlight the point in question.
Occasional text content has been supplied for illustration only
and does not reflect the quality of the original text.

LINE IN STANZA SPLIT UP BETWEEN SPEAKERS

I assume that where a line in a stanzaic drama is split between two
speakers, the PART attribute has by necessity to be used on both line and
line-group. Correct?

Let's assume in a couplet (two-line stanza) the first line is split
between speakers A and B. This could look something like:

[Dragon]
<lg type="couplet" part=i>
<l n="1" part=i> Some tasty view! </l>
</lg>

[Damsel]
<lg type="couplet" part=f>
<l n="1" part=f> I'll cry for help! </l>
<l n="2"> Yet - where's the knight? That useless whelp! </l>
</lg>

Q: Has _n="1"_ to be repeated the second time (in the Damsel's speech,
as shown above) or will the number be inherited, ie can be omitted the
second time?
Same question for TYPE.

If a pagebreak occurs within a stanza, should the stanza then be split up
in parts as well?

Ingo Mittendorf
Department of Linguistics
University of Cambridge