BACKGROUND
I am working for the project "A historical corpus of the Welsh language".
We plan to set up an electronic collection of Modern and Early Modern
Welsh texts. We are using TEI for the corpus.
Since we wanted to find out what kinds of problems might arise in using
TEI, we started with a text that would address several areas of TEI: a
17th c Welsh versified drama from a manuscript (unedited).
I would be very grateful for any comments or advice - or confirmation
concerning the problem discussed below.

Examples are made up, but reflect the respective problems; tagging has
often been simplified in order to highlight the point in question.

"SPEAKERS" MIXED WITH STAGE DIRECTIONS

In the manuscript that we are working on the speakers are written on the
left margin of the page. A horizontal stroke above the "speaker" marks the
beginning of the speech:

        |  [End previous speech]
--------|-------------------------------------
Dragon  |  [Start speech dragon]

Now, quite often, stage direction (Enter) and "speaker" are combined.
In the ms. the relevant part looks somewhat like this:

Enter   |  [End previous speech]
--------|-------------------------------------
Dragon  |  [Start speech dragon]

I should also point out that spelling in the ms. is by no means
consistent, meaning that both the Speaker- and the Speech-tags (<speaker>,
<sp>) have to be used.

I have used the following markup for "mixed stage directions":

   <sp who="Dr">
                [SPEECH]
   </sp>

However, where the "speaker" is not mixed with a stage direction (the
"simple" case, as it were), I've tagged it like this:

   <sp who="Dr">
   <speaker>
   Dragon
   </speaker>
                [SPEECH]
   </sp>

which is, as far as can see, more in line with how the TEI-Guidelines
do it (putting the <sp> directly in front of the <speaker>).

The problem with mixed stage directions was, if I'd wanted to tag these in
the same way as the simple cases, to properly nest the tags. (You'll get
something like: stage - speech ... - stage - speech.)

I haven't changed the second format so far, but wonder if the different
orders in which the tags appear (speech before/after speaker) is going to
be a problem.

Ingo Mittendorf
Department of Linguistics
University of Cambridge