Two questions:

1. Catchwords

The Guidelines' section 18.3 (Headers, Footers, and Similar Matter)
states that

        "As a rule, matter associated with the page break (signature,
        catchword, page number) should be drawn into the <pb> element as
        attributes: see section 6.9, Reference Systems."

However, in section 6.9 I can't find anything about how to draw a
catchword, for instance, into the <pb> element. I would prefer doing this
to using the <fw> element.

2. Page- and column-breaks

This concerns page-breaks and column-breaks and how they interact.

The book I've got in mind is foliated, not paginated, with two columns on
each page, ie:

folio 117, recto, column a
folio 117, recto, column b
folio 117, verso, column a
folio 117, verso, column b
folio 118, recto, column a
etc.

I started off with using the <pb> element only, and just discovered the
<cb> element (both section 6.9.3). I wonder if I should use <cb> at all
under the circumstances, or whether the <cb> element only makes sense where
a book is *exclusively* numbered by columns (such as encyclopedias). The
Guidelines don't really tell.

The Alphabetical Reference List for Elements states - on <cb> - that

"Encoders should adopt a clear and consistent policy as to whether the
numbers associated with column breaks relate to the physical
sequence number of the column in the whole text, or whether columns
are numbered within the page." [Similar statement on <pb>]

Fair enough, but what is the conclusion to be drawn from this? Don't use
<cb> in the latter case?

I'd be grateful for any clarifications.

Ingo Mittendorf

Department of Linguistics