Christophe Grandsire scripsit:
> En réponse à Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>:
>

> > I also like using dashes.  Although i did have one teacher who tried to
> > dissuade me from using them, so since then i try to use more variety in
> > my punctuation, sometimes even using semicolons.  I have a friend who's
> > an English major who (over)uses semicolons all over the place the way
> > we
> > use dashes.
> >

> I HATE semicolons!!!! I hate them so much that I have banned them from my style.
> You will never see any semicolon in my works. I have perfectly enough of the
> full stop and the comma, thank you very much. I also dislike to read a text full
> of semi-colons. Usually, full stops would have been just fine, and semi-colons
> artificially lengthen sentences to no end. In fact, I've never quite understood
> I've never seen any text where it couldn't be
> replaced by a full stop or by a comma with advantage of a better readability...

Then look at this, from the KJV:

Romans 013:007 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is
        due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom
        honour.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore