Wade, Guy wrote:
>Yes, that's exactly the interpretation I had in mind, but it also carries
>the thought of "try making peace first, try to understand (and therefore
>become friends with) the person instead of rushing into an adversarial
>relationship."

I've never really learnt to appreciate the idea that just because people
understand each other, they'll like/respect each other. Learning to know
somebody can just as well give you reasons not to like him/her!

Indeed, many of the bitterest conflicts in history has been between groups
in most respects very close to one another. The heretic is usually
considered worse than the heathen.

                                                  Andreas