> Date:         Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:35:37 -0500
> From: Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 09:47:37AM -0000, Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:
> > Each type is then divided by the final conoid in the stem, where
> > stops, laryngeals, and semivowels all give different developments.

> What's a conoid? (consonant-oid?)

It's a mipsling for contoid:

    A consonant defined phonetically, by the way it is produced, as
    distinguished from a consonant in a phonological sense, defined by
    its role in the structure of words and syllables. Thus a syllabic
    nasal, as in the second syllable of button ['b^tn], is a contoid
    even if, in phonology, it were treated as vocalic.

    Cf. vocoid: both terms were introduced by Pike in the 1940s.

    The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics,  Oxford University
    Press 1997

And it turns out that the term doesn't quite mean what I thought,
either: semivowels are probably vocoids.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)