Danny Wier scripsit:

> The general process of how a word becomes "vulgar" (a taboo word is pretty much
> the same thing): the "dirty word" was usually a "legitimate" word, and political
> correctness demands a softer, gentler euphemism.  Like how we went from Old
> English _scitan_ to Modern English "go potty"...

"But that *never* works!"
        -- Rocket J. Squirrel

Such terms inevitably become taboo in their turn.  In Larry Niven's future,
"Censor you!" is extremely insulting, and "futz" has taken on the
conversational role of [banned in NZ].

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore