From: "Shreyas Sampat" <[log in to unmask]>
> I would be tempted to say that the Orcs actually have a language that's
> wholly human at first glance, but did not develop from any human language.

That's right!!  They use sign language.. that they learned from CHIMPS!!

> On nonhuman tongues in general:
> These seem to be rare birds in the conlang world.  How many are there
flying
> around?
> At one point I had a conlang for very long-lived beings who had a
longevity
> gender system; humans fell under 'transient', the same category as
mayflies
> and sea turtles.

Huh.  Well, my langs are for nonhumans--not *alien* nonhumans, though, and
basically humanoid in mindset (and demihumans, even), except for one race,
which is .. a little bit different.  And I'm trying to make the lang for
them different.. while still usable.. but considering all the weird things
*actual* languages do, I'll probably end up reinventing
Proto-Chukchi-Kamchatkan. ;p

> I lost my otes on it, though.

I'm sure they'll be sprouting soon.

    *Muke!