Steg Belsky wrote:

> Although, i remember reading (not hearing) the expression "going Dutch"
> to mean "when a couple on a date shares paying instead of one of them
> paying for both".

Exactly: this is a short version of "Dutch treat", which means
"no treat at all", just as "Dutch courage" is no real courage at all.
Most of these phrases date back to the English-Dutch wars.

"Dutch auction" (one in which the price starts high and is lowered until
someone bids), OTOH, I believe represent actual Dutch practice.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com