> Date:         Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:40:56 +0200
> From: BP Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> At 08:56 2001-07-03 +0000, Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:
>
> >          medvirken    - participation
>
> >(It may actually be the same form as the infinitive, I can't check
> >right now).
>
> No it wasn't.  The infinitive was *-an and lost its nasal in Sc., the
> verbal noun was *-anˇ and preserved the nasal.  Cf. Icelandic _sko­un_
> "opinion" with u-umlaut!  Yet the two forms are certainly related, the
> infinitive being originally a neuter verbal noun.

If Beekes is right (see my recent mail on infinitives), the Germanic
infinitive is the frozen accusative of a verbal noun, so we can't
really say if it was neuter or not.

Do you happen to know what PIE form the Germ. *-anˇ is supposed to
derive from? (Germ. *-an being from PIE *-onom). I haven't spotted
a Gothic equivalent in Wright.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)