David Peterson wrote:
>    That's one of those questions that makes me think every so often.  Is
>there any linguist who's written a paper (preferably online) about the
>affects of instant communication on language, and especially, language
>change?  Or is it too soon to say anything at all?

Nothing recent that I know of; but back in the 60s IIRC the Opies were
writing about how quickly childrens' games/slang/jokes were getting around.
Supposedly in Dec. 1936, when Edward VIII abdicated, within a matter of days
children all over the British Empire were singing:  "Hark, the herald angels
sing/ Mrs. Simpson's pinched our king...."   That's unlikely to have gone
out over the BBC World Service, so it must have been by telegraph or
air-mail.