David F. Smith writes:

> The life guard let me know that "local practice" was to gear
> up back on the grass and walk down... I guess it must get
> so busy that the beach would get backed up?

Its probably distressing to the non-divers on the beach to see people
struggling to get dressed/undressed into tight rubber suits :-)

FWIW, I'm not on the left coast, but I'm inclined to take multiple easy
trips instead of one gutbuster.  Walking around fully geared up risks
hyperthermia (overheating), although it does depend on how hot it is out,
how much thermal insulation you have on, and how much exertion you're doing
on the walk:  IMO, walking with gear on in deep, dry beach sand must have
been the inspiration for the "Stairmaster"...

-Hugh