Daniel44 wrote:

> Hi all,]

Welcome, don't take anything I (or anyone else here) writes too personally,
think about it, but don't get insulted.

> I've been working on an IAL project which uses simplified Esperanto grammar

why? for fun? to try to get an IAL off the ground? that
I-could-do-better-than-that feeling that Esperanto engenders in so many people?

If you clarify your goals in the beginning, it will probably make most of the
choices pretty clear.

> and a new, more international vocabulary.

one nice goal, whether you want to do so by junking existing Eo or just by
starting to use kitabo for book (or whatever) is another question

> In terms of grammar:
>
> 1. No accusative 'n' ending
> 2. No need for adjective agreement with nouns (prevents proliferation of
> j's)
> 3. No article 'la'
> 4. One, unified third person singular pronoun 'si' for he/she/it (Eo has as
> many as 4)

The first three of these have been around for a while, so you can't claim that
you'r _inventing_ anything here.
The last one ... I kind of like it but then you miss the fun of being able to
make the following contrast

Maria perdis sia kitabo. (her own)
Nano perdis shian kitabo. (someone else)

> There are some minor changes to meaning of some participles:
>
> 'in' means small eg 'domo' = house and 'domino' = 'little house'.

-in- is not a participle and why on earth would you utterly change the meaning
of something that already exists (that type of change will be 100 times harder
to convince other people of than expanding the meaning of something that
already exists or dropping something that already exists or adding something
new)

> The female meaning for 'in' in Eo has been scrapped and replaced with the
> prefix pan- (pon- for males).
>
> Ponino - boy
> Panino - girl

This is strange, Russian speakers will have (do have) a hard time
distinguishing unstressed -o- and -a- (unlike Portuguese speakers, who have a
hard time distinguishin unstressed -o- and -u-)
Where do pon- and pan- come from? Where does -in- (with the meaning 'small')
come from?

> The alphabet has been streamlined to eliminate all accent marks.

good, good, good

> Letters are: a, b, c (pronounced 'ch'), d, e, f, g (pronounced hard), h, i,
> j, l, m, n, o, p, r, s, t, u, v, z.
>
> The new vocabulary is what distinguishes the new language from previous
> projects such as Ido.
>
> Some examples:
>
> Mi sebagas ogata bukoj - I like big trees
> (sebagi - to like <from Indonesian> and ogata (big), buko - tree <from
> Japanese>)

is sebag- the root in Indonesian or is it a root plus affix (I'd probably go
for 'suki' as a root for 'like' (from Japanese)

> Mi onas skribanto - I am a writer
> (oni - to be <from Finnish> and skribi - to write <from Esperanto>)
>
> Si onas en kitabejo - He/she is in the library
> (kitabo - book <from Arabic>)
>
> Li legis sutarinoj en kitabino - They read the sentences in the booklet
> (suto - word <my own invention> sutarino - sentence)

So a sentence is a little word? I don't get it.

-penge (peng- friend, from Mandarin)
mike farris