This has been rattling around in my head for a bit.
In Eviendadhail, syllables are very important.  The alphabet, such as it
is, is almost a syllabary.  Meter is based on syllables.  However,
Proto-Eviendadhail (which doesn't exist as more than a collection of
roots) does not specify syllables in roots.  Thus, I have AR, the root
for 'red', beget "ir" ( = fire) and "r" ( = blood).  The first is two
syllables and the second, one.  However, this seems weird to me.  Of
especial confusion is the two words "Nel" ( = child) and "nl" ( =
small).  Both come from the PE root, NL, "small".  However, the two <l>s
are actually different phonemes, one being an initial sound and the
other a final.  Does anyone know of any natlangs in which roots get
split between syllables?  Also, I know my root system isn't very
scientific.  Does anyone have any better ideas?

-M