Muke Tever wrote:

>From: "Roger Mills" <[log in to unmask]>
>>...something a little easier, similar to Dutch {ui} [÷I] as in "huis",
"muis"
>>'house, mouse' (it's < Germanic *u: ).  Interestingly, this is usually
>>Anglicized to /aj/, even by the many folks of Dutch descent up here around
>>Holland Mich.  Names like Nieuwenhuis, Vandersluis are [n(j)uw@nhajs]
>>[vŠnd@rslais].   (The Rempts are cringing, I'm sure.....)
>
>Yeah, I know a Kloosterhuis [klu:str=hajs].  I read (somewhere..) that
Dutch
><ui> was [VH], but I can see how either one would end up as [aj] translated
>to English phonemes.

Ah me. (Roger, check dictionary before engaging brain)  My vintage 1953
Kramers Woordenboek gives {ui} as (transcribed for email) "o-e ligature plus
schwa", but I've also read (and heard) o-e plus [I] or even [i].  These may
be generational or dialectal variants-- my exposure to spoken Dutch is
minimal.

There's an interesting phenomenon known as "mis-phasing of roundness"-- your
[VH] vs. my [÷I] demonstrates it.  Also in Acehnese, one of the final
diphthongs is (dictionary) "o@"; but the native speaker in our field methods
class pronounced all such words with [@U].  (He also had [T] for "s", but in
that case the dictionary mentioned that [T] was a permissible and common
variant.)   Something else to put in your bag of tricks!