> I was trying to figure out how in the heck you would hear a [?]
> before a vowel <rueful look> since the prof for that class told us
> that technically when you say a vowel (without something else
> before
> it??) there's always a glottal stop, so if you said [qaItSaref] by
> itself, how would you know?  :-/  The somewhat tentative fix for
> that
> was to make {q} [?] between two vowels, [x] otherwise.  <looking
> around hopefully>
>
> YHL

I like the tentative fix myself, but I don't think there's a problem with
having phonemic initial /?/.  *My* phonetics teacher said that it is
possible to pronounce a vowel-initial word without a glottal stop, though
he might have said that no languages actually make use of that
distinction.  If you want to keep {q} fundamentally a stop, you could
replace it with something stronger initial positions, like a pharyngeal
stop.

Jesse S. Bangs     Pelíran
jaspax @juno.com
"There is enough light for those that desire only to see, and enough
darkness for those of a contrary disposition."  --Blaise Pascal