Tony,

Not intending to be rude but I sometimes feel I'm speaking a different
language when I discuss equipment choices with other divers.  IMO the dive
industry is so profit orientated that everyones perception of what is
necessary and not necessary is distorted.  Take the recent hard sell of
rebreathers to recreational divers for an example.

At 05:34 1/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I too have read all the stuff about ankle weights and the reasons of not
using
>them. But if they help someone achieve trim easily (there are other ways.
>Moving the tanks up or down, tank weights, etc.), why not. They are simple to
>put on.

I won't debate further on a topic I know little about.

>> I'd imaging it has something to do with eliminating yet another unnecessary
>> accessory, another thing to break or snag lines.  Personally though I just
>> couldn't be arsed mucking around doing up yet another clip or having
>> another fiddly little accessory to get lost in the clutter of a dive boat.
>
>Can't say it is unnecessary if it helps you. And I have never been snagged or
>broken any lines with them on. If they "catch" any lines, your fin
strap/clips

FWIW I've never used "quick release" straps either, they weren't around
when I started diving and I've never seen the point.  I can get my fins on
and off faster with spring straps than anyone using the so called "quick
release" straps.  Therefore "quick release" straps are unnecesary.

My stainless spring straps are just the right size (there is no adjustments
to make, they flick on and flick off in one easy movement, they are
perminently attached to the fin so there is no way to come loose, they are
in profile with the fin mounting so don't catch lines and you'd have to try
exceedingly hard to break or wear out a stainless steel spring).

The "quick release" straps have; clips that can break or jam up with sand,
ratchets that can break or loosen off or jam with sand, dicky little
attachments on the fins, big bulky attachments that can trap lines and they
don't solve the problem of the rubber fin straps perishing or breaking.
This becomes particularly critical on surf entries.  Numerous times I've
seen folks get pummeled because sand got in there clips or they spent too
much time mucking around fitting and adjusting them in the surf zone.
Numerous times I've seen folks break a strap before a dive and have to miss
the dive or scrounge around for a replacement.  I've seen a guy loose a fin
and end up doing an uncontrolled ascent to the surface because he got
inverted and couldn't dump air (OK this was a combination of problems but
loosing the fin started it, he couldn't arrest his ascent either without
the fin).  I've seen lots of others break a strap or loose fins in open
water or in the surf.  There is a reason sales of fin straps outstrip sales
of fins by ten to one  :-)

Sell the people something they'll need to replace or update rather than
something that will last and last.

>will too. And if you plan on doing "tech" diving, you will be fiddling with a
>lot of stuff. Mine have never been lost. I don't leave my gear all over the

So why add another thing to fiddle with?  :-)

Maybe I'm anal but if I can get one tool to do a host of jobs, that's what
I'll do.  At present my brain only has to cope with where my fins (which
also double as mask box) and SCUBA unit are (OK hat, sunnies and wind
jacket and occasionally weight belt too).  Working in a dive shop I have
enough things to think about without worrying about my gear (also has to be
very durable and low maintenance).

>Nothing wrong with using your fins of choice. But the testing of fins is far
>from dubious. And my rubber straps (I do carry a spare) haven't failed me

Just about everything the dive industry does is dubious  :-)   Do you have
any kids 8-12 years old (or younger) you'd like to train to dive?  How
about doing a deep air course?  When money (or ego?) is a factor the truth
is a very flexible concept.  How long did it take tobacco companies to
admit their products were unsafe (some haven't)?  How about airlines and
deep vein thrombosis (sp?)?  When ever somone has a vested interest (and
usually when they don't) I treat advice or opinions with caution.

>With inspections of all my gear BEFORE a dive, I can head off most gear
related

Why not just eliminate the problem altogether.  I used to carry spare fin
straps too, now I don't  :-)  FWIW I've had many rubber fin straps break,
though I used to replace them well before there was a problem.

>You'll enjoy dry suit diving. Dove wet for my first six years here where the
>temp ranges from low to mid 40's, to a blistering lower 60's. But won't do

Definately keen to have a go.  Just justifying the expense is the problem
(and making the right choices first time, unlike most of my other gear
choices in the past).

Cheers,

Simon

Simon L Hartley
EnvSM Website Coordinator\First Year Course Coordinator
Associate Lecturer
School of Environmental Science and Management
Southern Cross University
P.O. Box 157
Lismore NSW, Australia 2480
Ph: (02) 66203251 or (61 66) 203 251