> Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:02:51 -0400
> From: Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Thomas Wier wrote:
> >Don't Icelandic and Danish have the voiced interdental fricative [D]?
>
> They do, tho' Danish don't have a phonemic contrast /d/-/D/ IIRC. Icelandic
> also have /T/.

Try <bredde>-<brede> in Danish. I don't know what the pronunciation
guide in your dictionary says, but my ears say that they are a minimal
pair for /d/-/D/.

(<bredde> may well have been /bREDd@/ half a century ago. It isn't
now. But otherwise there's a rule of thumb that intervocalic <d> is
/d/ after short vowel, /D/ after long --- and since vowel length is
phonemic, the /d/-/D/ contrast would not have to be).

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)