BP Jonsson skrev:

>Not all jV clusters in Scandinavian languages arise from breaking.  Notably
>the j/j found in words like jfr--
>thiufwer--tjuv arose from older *iu and *eu diphthongs.

Really? Interesting. ISTR Wessn saying something else
(regarding <tjuv>, that is, not about *iu and *eu),
but his theory why the syncope happened is a bit odd (people
started speaking *faster* :) ), so I guess some salt might
come in handy otherwise too.

>Breaking was always caused by *a or *u following in the next syllable after
>*e.  Of these *e-a gave _ja_ or _j_ and *e-u gave _jo_ or _j_; the ja/j
>and jo/j variation is dialect-dependent.

Well, I know about the e and a/u-affection, but I should
read up on the details (if only I could find that book).

IIRC, English breaking did go further with just not /e/
being affected.

> > Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

>I know what breaking is, but I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Me neither. :)  I went through all my books on the subject
at home, but couldn't find what I was looking for. It
must have been a book by either Wessn or ... oh god,
what's his name again? (This hangover really makes thinking
difficult.) Noren! (There it is.) I'll try to find it.

Hmta MSN Explorer kostnadsfritt p http://explorer.msn.se