Lu=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=EDs?= Henrique scripsit:

> I am sure that English ortography was invented by the Devil in one of his
> worst days, but language is language, ortography is ortography.

If it had been created by anyone, it would surely have been by the Devil,
but of course it evolved.

> One other cause of ortographic chaos in English is its vowel system, with
> the (for non-English native speakers) weird opposition between lax and
> tense. AFAIK, none of the other widely spoken languages, or any other
> European language makes this opposition.

AFAIK all the Germanic languages do this.

> Or mental illness in Ireland can be caused by Irish government efforts to
> reinstate Gaelic as a national language?

As And said, the Irish orthography is very Irish.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore