I agree with preserving wrecks, but I'm not sure all wrecks are of
historical value, so I'm not sure the law can be made sweeping for all
wrecks ... particularly with wrecks being sunk on purpose for rec
divers.  With time, wrecks are stripped of artifact making it worth diving,
and many shallow wrecks in NJ, if not for their imposing bulk, are pretty
much denuded of specific details compared to untouched ships with intact
'artifacts,' such as in deep wrecks in Florida accessible only to tech
divers.  Had the same salvaging been made of Truk and Bikini Atoll, the
wrecks would be in a sad state in a shorter time compared to letting the
sea claim the artifacts through deterioration.

Probably a large argument of trophy seeking wreck divers, is that artifacts
inevitably deteriorate, and taking them from a wreck puts them in a state
of preservation, albeit in someone's home.  However the removal of
artifacts without archeological-style documentation destroys much of the
value of the artifact. In wrecks of major historical value, often of great
age, it would be a substantial loss [ such as the recovery of giant Chinese
trade ships in Brunei waters.]  Professional underwater archeologists are
limited in time, funds, and energy, and sport divers utlitizing their own
resources, and taking their own risks, can collectively salvage wrecks in
shorter time.  However, without limits on the methodology of their salvage
operations, and whose motive is primarily for their own amusement or
personal gain [ treasure hunting]  wrecks of historical value are destroyed
and lost to a whole generation of other divers, within the lifespan of an
undersea wreck.

If wreck divers feel strongly about burning their PADI C-cards, it is a
shallow gesture, since the card is less meaningful as certification status
can easily be checked by calling their hotline [except outside the USA.]
Thus, I suggest to be most effective card burners should ask for their
names be struck from PADI rosters, to effectively appear that you were
never part of their organization in the first place, and thus, remove all
you association with them, and all your other certifications with PADI.

Here is a letter from a champion of wreck perservation at Truk:

Dear ScubaDoc:

Klaus Lindemann,Truk wreck locator and documentor, creator of the Minimum
Impact Diving campaign for Truk, is battling brain cancer. A prayer and/or
a card for him, his wife (Annie) and family would be greatly appreciated.
His address is as follows:

Klaus Lindemann
3260 Monument
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Ph & Fx: 734 975 1877
e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Thank you for all your diving contributions, Scuba Doc!

****************

LINDEMANN APPROVED PRESS RELEASE:

Klaus Lindemann, concerned environmentalist, who kicked off the campaign of
"Minimum Impact Diving," and whose name is synonymous with locating and
protecting the wrecks of Truk Lagoon, was diagnosed in March 2001 with a
virulent form of brain tumor. Klaus is under medical care at one of the
world's most advanced treatment centers at the University of Michigan.

Born in Hamburg, Germany, Klaus started to dive in the U.S. and became a
devoted dive educator. Wishing to get the best from all worlds, he embarked
on an instructor program and was certified as a PADI (#1785), YMCA and NAUI
(#2572) scuba instructor. He staffed instructor certification courses in
three countries overseas and in Canada. He taught underwater photography and
environmental scuba courses. Later he became a Technical Diver and Extended
Range Diver. His wife, Mary, is also a scuba instructor.

A pioneering wreck diver, Klaus was instrumental in finding, identifying,
describing, and thus opening for our diving pleasure, many wrecks of both
Truk and Palau. Klaus reports that he is feeling "excellent, and apart from
temporary vision problems, I look exactly like you saw me last."

Klaus has dived extensively in the Caribbean, the Pacific, the Indian Ocean,
the Red Sea, the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, the Great Lakes and various
other puddles, quarries, rivers and lakes.

Truk Lagoon, in the state of Chuuk, first came to divers' attention in the
mid 1970's. Like many divers the world over, Klaus wanted to go there and
check out tropical wreck diving. He recalls his first visit. "A wreck is
like an abandoned house. You can imagine how the people were living, and you
feel a little like an archeologist. And then you get your mental magnifying
glass out and start to wonder what happened here, why did this ship sink? It
goes from one challenge to another."

When talking to pioneering Dive Master Kimiuo Aisek one day, he realized
that Kimiuo was like a library, a treasure house of information. They agreed
to record the story telling sessions and, on Klaus' suggestion, to go wreck
hunting. There were almost 20 more ships whose locations were not yet known.
They were all found, with the notable exception of the two destroyers.

"Crisscrossing the lagoon for hours was extreme boredom," Klaus recalls.
"Your back got wrenched out of alignment from bouncing around in the little
wooden boat in the choppy waves in the blistering sun or pouring tropical
rain. But when the primitive depth finder I was using then showed even a
fleeting echo, excitement was instantaneous."

"Those wrecks didn't have name tags, we hadn't heard of GPS, and side scan
sonar was totally out of reach. Nor had I yet unearthed the attack photos
from which we could have easily deduced the basic location of the wrecks. We
certainly did it the hard way. But there was nothing more thrilling than
descending on a new found wreck."

Weeks were spent on research in the U.S. Navy Operational Archives. Also,
communication reached around the globe for details and specific information.
Klaus received tremendous cooperation from Japan. Since 1978, Klaus has been
to Truk practically every year. He spent four years writing Hailstorm over
Truk Lagoon. The book was updated once the first edition (1982) went out of
print: "I hope we will be able to publish a third edition in due time. The
wrecks and the divers deserve it."

He dove in Rabaul and Palau, and published a twin book to Hailstorm, about
Palau, named after the code name of that Operation: DESECRATE 1. Also many
wrecks were found and documented.

Klaus has authored many newspaper and magazine articles related to diving
and wrecks, appeared in TV shows and is featured in several videos about
Truk. "The wrecks change. Some of them are taken over by nature and have
'morphed' into a coral reef with the most gorgeous and colorful marine life.
Other wrecks deteriorate, some now with frightening acceleration. There is
always something new. The fact that on every single dive I am able to
discover something I have not seen before continues to make the dives
exciting. It is as enjoyable as it was twenty years ago. And I adhere
strictly to the rule, that everything I discover will be shown to the dive
guide, so they have a leg up in showing the diving tourists the newest
places and artifacts opened up for viewing.

Klaus single handedly started an environmental campaign to preserve the
wrecks and marine environment in Truk: Minimum Impact Diving. He coined the
mission statement: "Dive always so considerate to your environment that the
following diver does not notice you have been there before." The MID
campaign symbol is his pet sea urchin, which appears to say, "Look, don't
touch!"

Klaus developed, designed and manufactured a series of products with the
motto, "For a diver from a diver," developed a highly popular "Hailstorm The
Dive Guide, Hailstorm: The Underwater Slates, and a video, "Trukšs
Hailstorm." All are companion products to his book, Hailstorm over Truk
Lagoon, which will be published in a larger format, full color and updated
to July 2001 in its third edition.

Hailstorm for years has been referred to as "the Truk Wreck Diver's Bible,"
due to its scope and definitive detail. Its excellence was recognized by
being named an official sourcebook for U.S. Navy history.

Laughingly, he quotes Lindemannšs Third Law: "Enjoyment of a wreck dive
increases directly proportional to the time spent and thoroughness of
preparing the dive." Klaus created his products for a fuller appreciation
and enjoyment by the diving tourist because when he first went to Truk,
nothing like that was available.

Other projects in the works are a Wreck Locator Chart and three interactive,
multimedia CD-ROMs.

Klaus has worked as a marketing executive for one of the leading
international chemical companies. He has represented his company for 30
years overseas, mainly in Southeast Asia, with further assignments in
England, the U.S., Germany, Singapore and Indonesia. He traveled extensively
on business and in private. Klaus, his wife and three children, have now
settled in Ann Arbor, MI. The last several years were devoted to kick start
development and use of alternative fuel vehicles in Europe by one of the big
three auto manufacturers in Detroit.

Klaus was forced to retire recently due to his health. Although he has
slowed down a little bit, he refuses to accept defeat, plans another trip to
Truk and has no intentions of leaving his friends here by themselves. Hešd
rather go diving. Klaus can be reached at:

Klaus Lindemann
3260 Monument
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Ph & Fx: 734 975 1877
e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

***********************
Dianne M. Strong, Ed.D.
Diver, Adventurer, Writer
committed to Minimum Impact Diving

130 Chalan Ayuyu
Yona, GU 96914
Tel: (671) 789-4500
Fax: (671) 789-1458

At 12:00 AM 8/22/2001 -0400, Automatic digest processor wrote:

>Date:    Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:57:44 -0400
>From:    "Glick, Les" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: fwd: CA Wreck Divers burn PADI cards
>
>Received this e-mail this am and thought some of you might like to know
>about this. The bottom line is, and I quote:
>
>  "In the May/June issue of Dive Report magazine, it was stated that DEMA,
>PADI, and Skin Diver Magazine supported the UNESCO Convention on the
>preservation of Underwater Cultural Heritage and the preservation of wreck
>sites as opposed to working to ensure artifacts can be retrieved and kept by
>private parties."
>
>Comments?

>------

Warm regards,