Donald J. HARLOW ad [log in to unmask] ha scripte in 2001/08/29 5:51 PM:
> reinvented precisely the same simile in an attempt to tar supporters of the
> environmental movement (also, like Esperantists, green on the outside but
> obviously red on the inside).

I've always thought of the greens as a figural after-affect of the
communist party.  (What is the figural after effect of bright red?)
Look at something red in bright light and then turn away and look
at something white in ordinary white.

But generally I don't think environmentalism has to have this
strident political orientation.  This was something that was created
in the 1970s by Barry Commoner, an ecologist with a left-wing political
bent.  In many ways by politicizing it and pushing science to the
background, environmentalists have lost their credibility with the
main stream voters.

Stan