Hi Kate:

We too are in the process of exploring this option.  What I have learned so
far:

* The rules as to whether an NP may operate independently in the ED varies
by state and clinical setting (i.e., fast track or main ED).
* Independent prescription signing by the NP varies by state
* Billing options/opportunities vary by state and vary on whether the NP is
using his/her own billing number or the MD's.  Billing options may also vary
if the NP is employed by a hospital or physician practice.  If the NP uses
the MD's billing numbers, my understanding is that the supervision
requirement for billing is similar to that of a resident.  If he/she is
billing under his/her own number they can bill without such strict
supervision.

Some of my information was obtained verbally.  Also, there was a session on
"physician extenders" at the APA PEM section meeting 5/00 (session organized
by Jim Chamberlin).

Some NP resources on the web:
American College of Nurse Practitioners
www.nurse.org/acnp