Am 09/10 12:19  SMITH,MARCUS ANTHONY yscrifef:

> As for articles in non-IE natlangs, I can speak for two American Indian
> langauges with confidence. Chickasaw doesn't have any: just two
> demonstratives. Pima has one and two halves: _heg_ is required before any
> non-generic noun phrase that is not initial in its domain (I'll leave
> that vague, because it's complicated) and that is not already modified by
> a demonstrative, _hema_, or _ge_. The first "half" article is _hema_ 'a,
> some', which behaves like a quantifier in some ways, but unlike a
> quantifier prohibits the use of _heg_ or demonstratives. The other half
> article is _ge__ (precise meaning unknown, but perhaps indicates
> specificity), which prohibits the use of _heg_, demonstratives, and
> quantifiers, but also often serves to modify verbs and adjectives, so
> can't really be called an article.

This reminds me of Maori which has te, definite singular, nga, definite
plural, and he, indefinite.  It must have been the resemblance between
Pima _hema_ and Maori _he_ that caught my eye.

I had been wading through my TY books recently and I did wonder about
using total and partial (partitive) articles in a language, borrowing
the idea from Finnish.  Has anyone tried this?

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       [log in to unmask]
alias Mungo Foxburr of Loamsdown

It's all over now.  They stand backs to the wall
Waiting for the fascist's sword to fall
In the desperation of a young life about to end
He turns before the bullet, And forgives a friend.
                               - Johnny Clegg and Savuka, Warsaw 1943