A few minor comments:

I think there's a small error in your original transcription:

"Waihbian jinhlaile yi ge ren liaangh ge hong yaanhjing, yi fuh dah yuan liaanh, daih zhe yi ge xiaaoh maohzi, taa xingh Xiah."

I believe "waihbian" should be "waibiaan",  "biaan" is first tone.

There's no reason Taiwan should be Daiwan.  The /t/ is aspirated.

I actually like GR (although I can't spell it ;).  I find it eligant and systematic, if complicated.  I'm not surprised it never caught on, though.  I think it'd be near impossible for non-Chinese speakers to make head or tail of, and I'm one of the oddball few Chinese speakers who'd take the time to bother figuring it out.

No one in Taiwan uses the retroflex in regular speech, but you'll never convince them that they don't.  They like to think of their Mandarin as "correct." Taiwanese learn "proper" pronunciation in school, so they can tell you where the retroflexes are if you ask, but they never pronounce them when they're not concious of it, although they're convinced that they don't.  I for one never know where to write the retroflex in Pinyin.  If, as its proponents claim, Tongyong better reflects Taiwanese pronunciation than does Pinyin, they should drop the retroflex, but they won't.

-WW