From: "David Peterson" <[log in to unmask]>
> In a message dated 9/15/01 2:52:45 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << >     Uh...I disagree.  I don't think this sentence makes sense.  A
> species is
> > not a kind of animal.
>
> Makes sense to me, just like "A boulder is a large rock", there the "is"
> shows definition. >>
>
>     But...a species isn't a kind of animal!  There are species of plants,
> just as well!

A species is a kind of animal.  It is *also* a kind of any other living
organism as well.

It's like saying a pig isn't a kind of animal because a pig can also be an
ingot.

We divide animals into species, so "species" is a kind of animal.  (We
don't, however, normally divide animals into pigs.)

    *Muke!