on 9/16/01 7:49 PM, Nik Taylor at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Sally Caves wrote:
>> Taking out the Taliban doesn't get at all terrorism in the Middle
>> East, I fear.
>
> Even if somehow we could eliminate all the terrorists in the world, if
> we don't change our attitudes toward the rest of the world, the hate
> will still be there, and new terrorists will just spring up.  We should
> remember what we did after WW2.  We helped our former enemies rebuild,
> and now they're our friends.  We flattened Germany and Japan, but then
> helped them rebuild, and now they're among our closest allies.  If we
> would stop sending our military in every time American interests are
> threatened, and if we'd spend more to actually help them get out of
> poverty, perhaps these countries would begin to see us in a positive
> light.

This is the way I figure it. Our government is too stupid to give the aid
without flattening the country first. I guess it's some sort of victor's
guilt, or something like that. But for all of that, Congress is pretty
tight-assed when it comes to financing anything other than the military in
this country. In light of this, if the Taliban had *any* knowledge of 20th
century world history, they'd be welcoming a war with open arms, because
they'll know that once we flatten them, we'll turn right around and pump
billions into their economy. Whether or not it would be worthwile in the
long run is a different story. What does Afghanistan export? Opium?

Daniel Seriff
http://members.tripod.com/microtonal

Honesty means never having to say "Please don't flush me down the toilet!"
                      - Bob the Dinosaur

When the ratings go up, it's like the whole world is made of donuts.
                      - Brak