Marv writes:

> Undercurrent.org just sent its email newsletter out
> suggesting we leave behind any items that use batteries???
> I need to research this but this seems like _much_ overreaction,
> that suggests electric shavers, flashlights, Palm pilots, laptops,
> etc., geez!

That would also include cell phones, which provided the FBI some valuable
clues last week.  Ironic?  The FAA FAQ I mentioned doesn't list batteries or
electronic equipment at all.  Its always best to double-check by asking your
individual carrier.

> Just spoke to a someone flying last week and they say, and some news
> reconfirms [draconian measures]...

I would have expected an initial over-reaction for such things.   FWIW, I'm
going to be carrying a copy of that FAA FAQ with me on future trips.

> One regulation that I heard was being performed that isn't in
> the news is the 3ple cross checking of the plane manifest.

Yet I suspect that the list still isn't being cross-matched to checked
baggage, which has been a security measure in use by El Al (Israel) for the
past few decades that is known to be very effective.

> ...Its not very inconvenient to passengers, but a big burden on the
airlines.
> The list is then forwarded to the FAA _for each and every flight_!

The airlines have already been required to have passenger manifest lists for
years.  Prompt submission would probably be done electronically, so that
cost isn't really that high.  Airlines have always had a good idea of their
headcounts at time of departure...they know to fill every open seat on an
overbooked flight, for example.

Overall, I think that we can attribute much of our general lack of true
security to the generic forces of Capitalism:  it costs money.  To be
competitive and to maximize profits, very few companies are going to
voluntarily do things that are not generally perceived as "value added"
until it is mandated for everyone by a regulatory agency.

I personally suspect that the longer term bailout of the airline industry
will come in the form of support of paying for airport security.  I have my
doubts about if we will be wise enough to realize that high speed rail for
things like the Boston/NYC/DC shuttles is a Win-Win opportunity, from both
an airport security (smaller scope=lower costs) as well as from reduced air
traffic congestion (fewer delays=lower costs).

-Hugh